Enhanced Tag-Based Grouping for Transactions in Capitally

Background

I have encountered a significant inconvenience while using Capitally, specifically related to the use of tags in transactions for tranche management within a single account. The current system displays assets based on FIFO (First-In-First-Out) for transactions, which does not align with my strategy of managing multiple tranches. To illustrate my point, I have provided screenshots demonstrating the issue using a test project, so the values may not be accurate.

Current Situation

Here is a brief explanation of my strategy and the problem I am facing:

1. I have two tranches that I manage every two months with a one-month offset.
  2. I assigned tags to these transactions: Group 1 and Group 2.

Expected Portfolio Composition:

• Group 1: 10 shares of CDP
  • Group 2: 2 shares of CDP

However, when filtering by tags, Capitally still applies FIFO transaction logic, leading to an inaccurate portfolio representation:

Screenshots:

1. Initial asset allocation setup with Group 1 and Group 2 tags.

2. Expected outcome after tagging the transactions. Expected tagged outcome

3. Actual portfolio representation using FIFO.

Feature Request

Objective

To implement a system that allows for grouping and displaying transactions based on actual tags rather than the FIFO method. This enhancement will provide a more accurate reflection of asset allocation for users employing a tranching strategy in their investment management.

Proposed Solution

• Tag-Based Grouping: Enable an option to view and manage transactions based on their assigned tags. This will allow users to see the precise composition of their portfolios as per their tagging strategy.
  • Custom View: Develop a custom view feature where users can filter transactions by tags and see the associated asset distribution without the influence of FIFO.
  • Optional FIFO Override: Allow users to opt-out of the FIFO method for specific accounts or transactions, giving them control over how their portfolio is displayed and managed.